HISTORY OF MARSHALL BAPTIST CHURCH
In 1939, God laid upon the hearts of a number of people the need for a Baptist church in this community. According to the minutes from one of the first meetings of this group, “On February 3, 1939, seventeen persons met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Peddicord to discuss the organization of a Baptist church in the community. The plans met the approval of the group and plans were made to raise the necessary funds. Lots were purchased adjoining Marshall Cemetery and the group voted to name the new church Marshall Baptist Church. Rev. J.A. Crews was called to the pastorate of the new church.”
By March 21, 1939, work was started on the foundation by Mr. W.P. Crews. Under the leadership of Mr. T.A. Marshall, construction was begun by April 8th. The opening date was on June 18, 1939. The pastor preached the first sermon at 11 o’clock and a picnic lunch was served to a large attendance. Dr. Charles Stevens, pastor of Salem Baptist Church, delivered the afternoon address to an audience that filled the church. A week of revival followed, conducted by the pastor, during which there were fourteen added to the church by baptism and eight by letter or statement. Sunday school was organized on June 25, 1939, with Mr. Ed Gurley being elected Sunday School Superintendent.
The church experienced the blessing of the Lord, for at the end of June 1940, there were eighty members on the roll. Records show that by October 1941, the membership had grown to 130.
Throughout the years, the church has maintained a strong faith in the fundamentals of the Bible and has combined this with a burden for the spiritual and social needs of our community and the entire world. As we face the future, it is with a sense of obligation to the past, with the stand the church has taken, and sense of responsibility for the Commission of Christ to “go into all the world, and preach the gospel.” We realize our obligation to the lost of the world and seek to fulfill our duty to our community. As in the past, so with the future, we seek the blessings of the Lord.